Wall Street West of William Street
Photograph date: ca. 1882
Notes: The New York Historical Society owns another copy of this
photograph, and has supplied the following caption in explaining
the date assigned to the image: "In 1883, the two buildings nearest
the camera--the Manhattan Company (left) at 40 Wall Street and the
Merchant's Bank at No. 42--were replaced by one structure that joined
the rival companies into one, the Manhattan and Merchants Bank.
The figure of Neptune resting above the entrance to the Manhattan
Company was an appropriate symbol for the second oldest bank in
the city, incorporated in 1799 to supply the city with a pure water
source. Further west on Wall Street appears the oldest building
on the street, the colonnaded Assay Office, and just beyond it the
Subtreasury Building at the Northeast corner of Nassau Street."
(Source: Mary Black, Old New York in Early Photographs. New
York: Dover, 1973, pl. 26) The spire of Trinity Church is visible
in the background.
Credit Line: Transfer from the College of Architecture, Art &